Washington Square in Central Business District of Washington, D.C. Completes Major Renovation
|Exterior||Garage / Valet Entrance|
Washington, D.C., February 2, 2011 - Lerner Enterprises, Washington, D.C.’s largest private real estate developer, and The Tower Companies, the largest Green Builders in the Nation’s Capital, both of Rockville, Maryland, are proud to announce the completion of Washington Square’s multi-million dollar renovation at its award-winning 1,000,000 square foot landmark office building. Washington Square is located at 1050 Connecticut Avenue at L Street, NW with immediate access to the Farragut North Metro Station in the heart of Washington’s Central Business District. Washington Square was originally developed by Lerner and Tower in 1982.
Washington Square’s 14 million dollar renovation (WashingtonSquareDC.com/Renovation) was designed by the Washington, D.C. office of Gensler Associates and the general contractor for the project is HITT Contracting of Falls Church, Virginia.
“We are pleased to announce that we have achieved substantial completion of our major renovation at Washington Square,” stated Mark D. Lerner, a principal of Lerner Enterprises. “Our renovations introduce state of art technologies, an artfully designed contemporary and elegant lobby, and a thoughtful design throughout to welcome our current and future tenants and guests to our modern masterpiece in the Central Business District of Washington, D.C.,” he added.
“The multi-million dollar renovation of Washington Square is a testament to the building’s amazing location in the heart of Washington’s Central Business District,” stated Leona Agourdis, Executive Director of the Golden Triangle Business Improvement District. “Lerner Enterprises and The Tower Companies continue to invest into our neighborhood, and we are excited that the city is reinvesting in streetscape improvements along Connecticut Avenue in the neighborhood complementing the Washington Square renovations and welcoming visitors to the Golden Triangle,” she added.
Lerner Enterprises and The Tower Companies have collaborated on numerous landmark developments over the past 40 years including: White Flint Mall, Washington Square, White Flint North, Beaumeade Corporate Park, Residence Inn by Marriott – Dulles Airport @ Dulles 28 Centre, 2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard, Dulles 28 Centre, and several other projects in the Washington, D.C. area.
About Lerner Enterprises
Lerner Enterprises (Lerner.com) of Rockville, Maryland, founded by Theodore N. Lerner in 1952, is Washington, D.C.'s largest private real estate developer and is involved in all phases of commercial, residential, retail, hotel and mixed-use real estate. This includes planning, development, construction, leasing, asset and property management. Lerner has developed and currently manages more than 15 million square feet of office buildings, retail centers and residential communities. Lerner's office portfolio is comprised of many well-known developments including: 2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard (TowerOaks.com) with LEED® Platinum Certification, Rockville, MD; The Corporate Office Park at Dulles Town Center (DullesTownCenter.com), Dulles, VA; The Corporate Office Centre at Tysons II (Tysons2.com), McLean, VA; Fallsgrove Village Office Center (FallsgroveVillageCtr.com), Rockville, MD; White Flint North, North Bethesda, MD; Washington Square, 20 M Street (20MStreetSE.com) with LEED® Gold Certification, SE, Washington, D.C.; 1133 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C.; Flint Hill Office Park (FlintHillOfficePark.com), Fairfax, VA; 7799 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA; and 400 Army Navy Drive, Arlington, VA , among many others.
Lerner has been the recipient of numerous NAIOP and other industry awards (Lerner.com/Awards.html) in its 59-year history including the Honor Award for Design Excellence in the Fairfax County 2009 Exceptional Design Awards Program for 1800 Tysons Boulevard in The Corporate Office Centre at Tysons II.
About The Tower Companies
The Tower Companies (TowerCompanies.com) is a three-generation, award-winning real estate development company, founded in 1947 and is headquartered in Rockville, Maryland. It was recently named by Multi Housing News “2010 Awards of Excellence Development Company of the Year,” for their corporate green initiatives and outreach. Tower is EPA certified carbon-neutral and a member of Climate Leaders, ENERGY STAR and Green Power Partnership programs. Tower has developed 4.5 million square feet of office buildings, office parks, 1,400 apartments, regional malls, residential communities, lifestyle centers, and hotels within the D.C. area. Of this total, one million square feet are sustainable projects and another 2.5 million square feet are in the planning stages. They are the area’s leading regional builder of USGBC LEED projects, i.e.: 2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard (TowerOaks.com), co-developed with Lerner Enterprises, is the first LEED Platinum certified multi-tenant commercial office building and world’s largest application of Vedic architectural design principals, The Tower Building (TowerBuilding.com) is rated ENERGY STAR and LEED Silver and named 2003 Green Office Building of the Year by the Apartment and Office Building Association (AOBA), 1909 K Street/Millenium Building (1909KStreet.com) is the first commercial multi-tenant LEED EB certified and first green office building in D.C., and Blair Towns (BlairApartments.com) is nationally recognized by the U.S. Green Building Council as America's first LEED-certified multifamily rental housing community in the U.S. In 2009, The Tower Companies began one of the largest LEED renovations in the U.S. at The Blairs (BlairApartments.com), 1,400 apartment units on a 27-acre live-work-play complex in Maryland.
Washington Square Renovation Fact Sheet
Exterior renovations include:
- A frameless “Pilkington” glass storefront with full height glass entry doors and glass topped revolving doors that provide building access from both Connecticut Avenue and L Street. The atrium features eleven foot high - floor to ceiling - glass panels with architectural metal detailing.
- Illuminated architectural glass and stainless steel entrance canopies incorporate LED technology and highlight the entrances to the building.
- Streetscape improvements includes flamed granite sidewalk pavers which wrap the entire building perimeter, additional planter beds with mature landscaping framed by ornamental metal railings and additional bike racks.
- High definition audio visual displays and digital signage are installed on the lobby level and are visible to pedestrians.
Interior renovations include:
- An innovative lighting package incorporating energy efficient light fixtures, art lighting, and perimeter cove lighting in the atrium lobby, office lobby and the parking garage lobbies.
- A newly configured office/tenant elevator lobby with full height glass storefront and doors.
- Crème colored marble (Botticino) adorning the flooring, walls and security/concierge desk.
- Interactive touch screen directory and high definition flat panel televisions architecturally integrated into a glass feature wall.
- Three unique and colorful sculptures by glass artisans Dale Chihuly and Ray King, which provide a colorful punctuation to the office/tenant elevator lobby.
- The addition of a modernized security infrastructure and a new visitor access system.
Garage/valet entrance renovations include:
- A premium hotel style valet parking area and a new luxurious office lobby on the garage level with direct access to the building for visitors, tenants and retail patrons.
- Crème colored marble flooring (Botticino) on the floor walls and cashier’s booth.
- Finished ceiling, architectural lighting, green-scape and incorporation of indoor and outdoor heated seating lounges.
- Glass feature wall with integrated high definition flat panel televisions.
- Clear and visible garage entry sign and directional signs.
Concourse/lower level renovations include:
- Colorful back-painted glass wall panels with integrated artwork.
- The addition of several informal conversation areas with soft seating, accent lighting and high definition televisions which provides tenants and visitors with an informal area to work or relax around a renovated indoor water fountain.
Fitness center renovations include:
- A completely reconfigured and fully renovated Fitness Center with an open floor plan, hotel quality locker rooms, a private classroom/stretching area with dimmable lighting, a water feature, natural finish materials used throughout and an open ceiling.
- All new fitness equipment that includes easy to use strength training equipment, free weights and a variety of state of the art cardio machines with integrated LED displays and touch screen controls, iPod® connectivity and interactive “Virtual Trainer” software.
For high-resolution renderings, photography and/or to schedule a tour, please e-mail Dan Cook at DCook@Lerner.com with your request.