Washington Square Begins Exterior Streetscape and Interior RenovationWashington, D. C., November 17, 2009 - Lerner Enterprises, Washington, D.C.’s largest private real estate developer and The Tower Companies, the largest Green Builders in the Nation’s Capital, both of Rockville, Maryland, are proud to announce that a major renovation of Washington Square has begun with completion planned for the summer of 2010. The renovation was designed by the Washington, D.C. office of Gensler Associates. HITT Contracting of Falls Church, Virginia is the general contractor for the project. The award winning 1,000,000 sq. ft. trophy-class landmark office tower is located at 1050 Connecticut Avenue at L Street, NW, in the heart of the Central Business District of Washington, D.C. The project was originally developed in 1982 by Lerner Enterprises and The Tower Companies.
“Washington Square is one of the most recognized buildings in the city because of its timeless architecture and unrivaled location in the heart of the Central Business District,” stated Mark D. Lerner, a principal of Lerner. “The renovations will introduce a new generation of current and future tenants and guests to this modern masterpiece,” he added.
Washington Square is home to numerous prestigious office and retail tenants including Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, LLP, Baker Hostetler and Morton’s • The Steakhouse, among many others.
The renovations include:
- New “Pilkington” storefront glazing system on Connecticut Avenue and L Streets consisting of new full-height glass panels with architectural metal detailing, new full-height glass revolving doors and new ADA compliant entrances.
- New architectural glass and stainless steel canopies incorporating LED technology to illuminate the building identification signs and address.
- New dramatic streetscape improvements including flamed granite sidewalk pavers that will wrap the entire building perimeter and additional planter beds with mature landscaping.
- High definition audio visual displays and digital signage will be installed on the lobby level.
- Office elevator lobby renovations including new full-height glass storefront, glass doors, new marble flooring, a new marble concierge desk, interactive touch screen directories, architecturally integrated high definition flat panel televisions and a stunning glass feature wall with large-scale, colorful artwork.
- Renovations of the garage valet area and main parking level lobby entrance will create a functional and visitor friendly entrance to the building from the parking garage. Renovations will include new marble floor and walls, ceiling, lighting, greenscape and incorporation of a seating area.
- An innovative lighting design incorporating energy efficient light fixtures, accent art lighting and perimeter cove lighting in the office lobby, atrium lobby and in the parking garage lobby.
- Modernized security infrastructure and a new visitor access system.
- The addition of bike racks to promote the use of non-vehicular transportation.
Office leasing is being performed by Brian F. Tucker and Brian R. Raher of Cushman & Wakefield (CushmanWakefield.com). 55,000 square feet on the twelfth floor is available for occupancy in 2011 and 230,000 square feet is available for occupancy in 2013.
About Lerner Enterprises
Lerner Enterprises (Lerner.com) of Rockville, Maryland, founded by Theodore N. Lerner in 1952, is Washington, D.C.'s largest private real estate developer and is involved in all phases of office, retail, hotel and residential real estate. This includes planning, development, construction, leasing, and property management. Lerner has developed and currently manages more than 15 million square feet of office buildings, retail centers and residential communities. Lerner's office portfolio has several well-known developments including: The Corporate Office Park at Dulles Town Center (DullesTownCenter.com), Dulles, VA; The Corporate Office Centre at Tysons II (Tysons2.com), McLean, VA; Fallsgrove Village Office Center (FallsgroveVillageCtr.com), Rockville, MD; White Flint North, North Bethesda, MD; 20 M Street, SE (20 M StreetSE.com) with LEEDŽ Gold Certification, Washington, DC; 1133 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Washington, DC; Flint Hill Office Park (FlintHillOfficePark.com), Fairfax, VA; 7799 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA; and 400 Army Navy Drive, Arlington, VA , among many others.
Lerner’s newest trophy office building, co-developed with The Tower Companies, 2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard (TowerOaks.com) in Rockville, MD, is the first multi-tenant commercial building in the Washington area with LEEDŽ Platinum Certification. The project was awarded the 2009 National Association of Industrial and Office Parks (NAIOP) Best Green Building of the Year, the 2009 Peerless Rockville Preservation Award, the first building in the State of Maryland to achieve “Designed to Earn Energy Star” by the American Institute of Architects and was certified as the first LEEDŽ Platinum office building in the State of Maryland and is eligible for Maryland Green Building Tax Credits. Lerner’s new corporate headquarters, located in 2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard was recently certified LEEDŽ CI Gold by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) and was awarded the Metro Washington Chapter of the Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) 2009 ‘Excellence in Construction’ Award.
Lerner has been the recipient of numerous NAIOP and other industry awards (Lerner.com/Awards.html) in its 57-year history including the Honor Award for Design Excellence in the Fairfax County 2009 Exceptional Design Awards Program for 1800 Tysons Boulevard in The Corporate Office Centre at Tysons II.
About The Tower Companies
The Tower Companies (TowerCompanies.com), founded by Albert Abramson in 1947, is a family-owned real estate firm in Rockville, Maryland and the largest Green Builder in the Nation’s Capital. It ranks #42 on the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) National Top 50 US Green Power Purchasers' List, is EPA-certified carbon neutral, and they developed, Blair Towns, (BlairTowns.com) the first US Green Building Council LEEDŽ-certified apartment complex in the country. The Tower Companies is a member of EPA’s Climate Leaders, Energy Star and Green Power Partnership programs. Their award-winning portfolio includes 4.5 million square feet of office buildings, office parks, 1,400 apartments, regional malls, residential communities, lifestyle centers, and hotels within the DC area. Of this total, one million square feet are Green or sustainable projects, and another 2.5 million square feet are in the planning stages; 2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard, co-developed with Lerner Enterprises, (TowerOaks.com), is the first LEEDŽ Platinum-certified multi-tenant commercial building in the DC area, The Tower Building (TowerBuilding.com), an Energy Star building named 2003 Green Office Building of the Year by Apartment and Office Building Association (AOBA), is LEEDŽ Silver, 1050 K Street (1050KStreet.com) is LEEDŽ Gold and 1909 K Street, known as The Millennium Building (1909KStreet.com) is the only and first commercial multi-tenant building in DC to get LEEDŽ EB certified. Tower now has six LEEDŽ certified projects and over 25% of their staff are LEEDŽ Accredited Professionals. Awards include 2009 National Association of Industrial and Office Parks (NAIOP) Best Green Building of the Year for 2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard, 2009 DC Mayor’s Environmental Excellence Awards, 2009 Circle of Excellence Smart CEO Awards, 2009 Peerless Rockville Preservation Awards, 2008 USGBC of the National Capital Area, Member Firm of the Year, 2008 Washington Business Journal Green Company of the Year, 2008 Washingtonian Magazine Corporate Green Award, 2007 DC Chamber of Commerce Corporation of the Year, 2006 and 2003 EPA Green Power Leadership Awards.